Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Tucker

So, really freaking big news...we have a new addition to our family...Tucker! After months of stalking the ASPCA website for the dogs available for adoption, my "dream" finally came true. It was our third trip to check out the available dogs, and guess what...we finally found what we were looking for.
I was instantly interested in meeting him. He had my heart from the start. After meeting with a behavioral specialist and learning about him, we took him into a room to play. He is really playful and instantly showed us his amazing personality.
They want you to make a decision right then. Although they don't normally "hold" dogs, she agreed to let us go to Petco and get some stuff prior to taking him home (I didn't want to admit it, but I was freaking out about making this commitment and needed to get out and talk to Paul about it). So, we took off to Petco and I was really freaking out about this decision but Paul was cool as normal and told me that it was ok to be scared. So, we ran back to our apartment to "doggy proof" the place, and walked back to get him.
And brought him home!!!
The first night was interesting. He adjusted really well, is very playful and quite large for a one bedroom apartment. But, he is really good...and did I mention that he is playful?
He is a year and a half and a Border Collie mix (not sure what the mix is)
He is also a Southern dog!

He was all mine the next day (Paul was on call). We got a nice run/walk in and a long romp in the Dog Park near us. He plays really well with the other dogs and is super friendly to all he meets. Then, the rain started. He didn't seem to mind it too much but I couldn't resist buying him a raincoat. He was very tolerant (and cute)!
One of his favorite spots (his favorite spot is really wherever we are)
Who couldn't love that face?!

He was happy to see Paul the next morning. What a perfect sized lap dog!
In the 4 days that we have had him, we have ranged from he's the best dog ever, to what in the h#!! did we do! I am lucky to have a lot of time to spend with him for the next couple of weeks. Then, real life with him will set in and we will see.
It is going to be a real challenge to have a dog in the city but I already cannot imagine us without him. I am really excited to move back and give him a yard and take him on trips to the lake (I just hope we can all hold out for the next 4+years!).
Our life has really changed and now revolves totally around him.
Stay tuned for more of Tucker than you probably care to hear about.

No comments:

Post a Comment